American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Between 7 and 12 million American youth suffer from mental, behavioral, or developmental disorders at any given time. The AACAP (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry) is the leading national professional medical association dedicated to treating and improving the quality of life for children, adolescents, and families affected by these disorders.
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Facts for Families
- Alphabetical resource listing of facts for families such as The Depressed Child, Children & Grief, Teen Suicide, Children of Alcoholics, Marijuana and Teens, The Teen Brain & More.
American Academy of Pediatrics
- Adolescence can be a challenge for parents. Your teen may at times be a source of frustration and exasperation, not to mention financial stress. But these years also bring many, many moments of joy, pride, laughter and closeness. This site focuses on the needs, questions and issues that parents and teens face; providing resources and guidance.
College Drinking: Changing the Culture
- CollegeDrinkingPrevention.gov is your one-stop resource for comprehensive research-based information on issues related to alcohol abuse and binge drinking among college students.
- Get information to help you talk with your teens about drugs and their effects, and learn where to get help.
Family Checkup Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Provides parents with research-based skills to help keep their children drug-free.
Get Smart About Drugs
- A DEA resource for parents, educators and caregivers.
- Advise on children’s health behavior, and growth-from before birth through the teen years.
Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know
- A booklet for parents by the National Institute on Drug Abuse
Navigating the Teen Years: A Parent’s Handbook for Raising Healthy Teens
- A booklet for parents by the American Academy of Pediatrics that talks about raising healthy teens.
- The DEA and Discovery Education have joined forces to combat a growing epidemic of prescription opioid misuse and heroin use nationwide. Operation Prevention’s mission is to educate students about the true impacts of opioids and kick-start lifesaving conversations in the home and classroom.
- Parents can join the conversation with this family discussion starter. Additional information on the warning signs of prescription opioid misuse and a guide to prevention and intervention empower families to reach out.
Talk They Hear You
- Prepare for one of the most important conversations you may ever have with your children and teens about underage drinking and other drug use. SAMHSA provides an interactive site to help parents talk to their children and teens about underage drinking and other drug use, which aims to provide parents and caregivers with information and resources they need to start addressing the issue of alcohol and other drugs with their children early.
SAMHSA: Alcohol and Drug Addiction Happens in the Best of Families… and It Hurts
- A brochure on alcohol and drug addiction in families with resources, information, and help.
Should You Drug Test Your Child?
- Offers information on the different types of tests and when you should test.
Teen Dating Violence (CDC)
- The CDC describes Teen Dating Violence and how to prevent it among teens.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Keeping your teen safe online.
- Youth.Gov offers tips/ resources for Preventing youth suicide, after an attempt, and also groups at risk.
11 Life Skills That Can Help Your Child in Recovery
- Partnership for Drug-Free Kids gives skills to parents to help their child in recovery.
2016 Surgeon General’s Report
- Facing addiction in America: The Surgeon General’s Spotlight on Opioids