American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Between 7 and 12 million American youth suffer from mental, behavioral, or developmental disorders at any given time. The AACAP (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry) is the leading national professional medical association dedicated to treating and improving the quality of life for children, adolescents, and families affected by these disorders.
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Facts for Families
- Alphabetical resource listing of facts for families such as The Depressed Child, Children & Grief, Teen Suicide, Children of Alcoholics, Marijuana and Teens, The Teen Brain & More.
American Academy of Pediatrics
- Adolescence can be a challenge for parents. Your teen may at times be a source of frustration and exasperation, not to mention financial stress. But these years also bring many, many moments of joy, pride, laughter and closeness. This site focuses on the needs, questions and issues that parents and teens face; providing resources and guidance.
College Drinking: Changing the Culture
- CollegeDrinkingPrevention.gov is your one-stop resource for comprehensive research-based information on issues related to alcohol abuse and binge drinking among college students.
Drug Facts: High School and Youth Trends
- NIDA discusses the health effects of specific drugs, effects of drug abuse, survey data from teens, as well as prevention and treatment options for youth.
- Advise on children’s health behavior, and growth-from before birth through the teen years.
NIDA for Parents
- NIDA for Teens website is a project of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH). Created for middle and high school students and their teachers, this website provides accurate and timely information for use in and out of the classroom. Parents may find these resources helpful as well.
- Prepare for one of the most important conversations you may ever have with your kids about underage drinking. SAMHSA provides an interactive site to help parents talk to their children and teens about underage drinking, which aims to reduce underage drinking among youth ages 9 to 15 by providing parents and caregivers with information and resources they need to start addressing the issue of alcohol with their children early.
Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Could your child be at risk for substance abuse? NIDA knows the important role parents play in preventing their children from using/abusing drugs. This website explores five questions, developed by the Child and Family Center at the University of Oregon, that highlight parenting skills that are important in preventing the initiation and progression of drug use among youth.
Get Smart About Drugs
- A DEA resource for parents, educators and caregivers.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Keeping your teen safe online.
2018 Surgeon General’s Report
- Facing addiction in America: The Surgeon General’s Spotlight on Opioids