Promptly remove expired, unwanted, or unused medicines from your home to help reduce the chance that others accidentally take or intentionally misuse the unneeded medicine, and to help reduce drugs from entering the environment. (www.fda.gov)
Here is a list of local sites that will take back and dispose of your unused medications all year round:
Open Drop Off:
- Beaufort County Government Building – 4819 Bluffton Prkwy, Bluffton, SC 29910*
- Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office – 70 Shelter Cove Ln., Hilton Head Island, SC
- Walgreens, Okatie – 138 Okatie Center Blvd, Okatie, SC 29909
- Ulmer Family Pharmacy – 68 Bluffton Rd. #6, Bluffton, SC 29910
- Long’s Main Street Pharmacy – 120 W Main St., Ridgeland, SC 29936
*In partnership with Beaufort Memorial Hospital, Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, and LCAHY.
- Burke’s Pharmacy – 1101 Main St., Hilton Head, SC 29926
- Bluffton Pharmacy – 167 Bluffton Rd B, Bluffton, SC 29910
- Walmart Pharmacies
- Sams Club Pharmacies
(What is DisposeRx?)
LCAHY participates in National Take Back Day, which will be held on April 27th, 2019.
Please check back to see local participating site locations.
Please follow the steps below for proper home disposal:
- Mix the medicines (Do not crush tablets or capsules) with an unpalatable substance such as dirt, kitty litter, or used coffee grounds. This prevents thievery or diversion of medicines from the trash.
- Then, place the mixture in a container such as a zip-lock or sealable plastic bag, and throw the container away in your household trash.